An Ode To Teachers


My utmost mostest memorablest teacher of all time, has to be "Mr Bell" from my Secondary school. An English gentleman, who taught me "Literature", and as well was my form teacher in for two years (secondary 3 & 4 - which meant he saw me at my worst ;p).

I hated Lit, and could not fathom the intricacies and nuances of the language (aka "don't understand fuq all the cock-talked"). And I could see Mr Bell had trouble getting it thru to my stubborn head.

Finding out I liked comicbooks, Mr Bell then taught me how to relate to the story and characters in Literature books ("Merchant of Venice", "Hard Times" blahblahblah hahaha), as if I would comicbook superheroes and villains, and that simple parallel helped me not just understand the books, but widened my narrow perceptions (not the "love-love"-kind, but others in general lol).

Even though I failed Literature in my 'O' Levels still (Scored in my English language tho lol), it was not the result of my exams' marks that proved the worth of Mr Bell's teachings, but of the horizons and possibilities he opened for me, years ago, which has lasted till this day and age, decades later.

But I have to say though, it was not as if I turned out to be a good student too, as my educational results were pretty effin' dismal, no doubt to the dismay of my parents' expectations haha

The role of a teacher is more important than anyone suspects, not just because he/she helps you memorize the textbooks, so that you could regurgitate it later in tests and exams, but because a good teacher can help mold you to be the person you will grow to be, or not to be.

A teacher might not give you "dreams", but they can help provide you with tools, to help you make your dreams a reality, eventually in life.

Help make dreams come true, do not crush them.

Ironically, years later I became an educator at LaSalle for a short few years, but perhaps I was not as effective or inspirational enough to even enjoy being wished "Happy Teachers' Day" hahaha .. but nevertheless, I wish all you educators out there, a very HAPPY TEACHERS DAY!

Cheers
Andy

Comments

Post a Comment