Morning Memories of the Past (Oct 10, 2016)






Spent a Monday morning looking through an old cardboard box belonging to mum, which held an amazing stack of old black-n-white photographs of her self and her sister (our Aunt, who is currently staying with us temporarily), and of her own aunts and family, and marvelling at the record/archive of the past, in which I am particularly interested in…

I’d realise this (for some time now), that if given the opportunity and time, that I want o be able to archive all the past - not just for memories’ sake, but also as a reference to the bygone days of Singapore.

As a designer/art director for media, I’d adore these images as visual reference / research for period reenactments - for sets, props and wardrobe/hairstyle. Even the wedding invitation card of my mum’s own wedding, the envelope in which photos and negatives came it, and the photographs themselves from photo studios in the 50s with decorative-diecut edges - are reference!

Yes I know I have been out of the game for nearly a decade now, but the “job-sickness” remains til now … like I always say: ”Once Art Department, Always Art Department” hahahaha #truestorybro

If I’ve not had to worry about earning $$$ all the days, I’d happily tend to archiving the past, for without it, are we not but disposable consumers with a history, but for the receipts we keep (or throw away) of the new fangled thingies we buy, to replace the old ones being thrown away?

Andy.

Comments