30 Years of My Life = "Toys, Movies and a Blog – How Design Influenced My Life"


This is a edited video of my talk at SUSS (Singapore University of Social Science) on 9th of March 2019, as part of the annual Singapore Design Week. Titled; ”Toys, Movies and a Blog – How Design Influenced My Life”, I’ve since blogged about (am excerpt of which is reproduced here) and you can check out the “official” profile write-up here on designsingapore.org.


I had chosen to separate my previous work and life in Interior Design, and designing for Film & Television, for over a decade on this blog (But if you were with me from the "start", you'd see me posting my on-set mages :p), and having this talk really helped and pushed me to reassess and re-evaluate my journey (online and offline), and frankly it has drained me quite a bit more than I let on lol

For folks who are reading or interested, you can check out my design work for Film & TV on:

andyhengart Facebook
Blog (for Films, with trailers)
#andyhengart Tagged On Instagram

And in lieu of featuring "old" toynews from the past two days, permit me to instead share a selection of slide-images, of what I had shown on Saturday, AND additional images which I edited out.


I had shared snaps & talked about my teenage dreams of being a comic-book artist, transitioning to studying & graduating in Interior Design, which later led to designing for Film and Television.

Featured below is a vain-glorious look at my winning designs for the inaugural Singapore Young Designers Award back in 1988 (*I was 1 of 9 winners).

Besides this being the first time I won any contest, it was also the first time I wore a tie, a pair of dress pants, a jacket, and faux leather shoes - so I could meet the general public, and meet the President of Singapore then, the late Wee Kim Wee. This impacted me, as before then I had been a tee and jeans kinda guy and being thrust into the public spotlight, really pushed me out of my shell then, IMHO. I was just 18 years old then, have yet to serve my National Service, and still in (Interior) Design School.




I spoke about my early days as a (Senior) Set Designer (for the then pre-MediaCorp "Television Corporation of Singapore") in the mid-to-late 90s, in which they provided me with the basic tools to transition to Feature Film, and later as a Art Director for (long & short form) broadcast television. For all intents and purposes, I am essentially "Self-taught" is this arena.

FYI: All drawings (presentation & working plans etc) were hand-drawn (inked) / analog - of which I am proud of, and has helped carried me to projects throughout my working life.

View this post on Instagram

In my previous #worklife as a #ProductionDesigner & #ArtDirector for feature films, I am credited with 6 movies, including: 1. "#ForeverFever / That's The Way I Like It" (1998 / AD) 2. "#TheTeenageTextbookMovie" (1998 / PD) 3. "Street Angels / 少女党" (1999 / PD & AD) 4. "Song of the Stork" (2002 / P&D) 5. "Perth" (2004 / PD) 6. "Rice Rhapsody" (2004 / PD & AD) - #IMDb page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0376984/ - Trailers viewable on http://andyhengart.blogspot.com (Select) - Stills viewable on #Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/andyhengart These are supplement images for my March 9th talk at #SUSS for #SingaporeDesignWeek (Re: https://bit.ly/2IHmAgo). #filmlife #designlife #henglifesg #TBT #throwbackthursday #andyhengart

A post shared by TOYSREVIL (@toysrevil) on


In my previous #worklife as a Production Designer and Art Director for feature films, I am credited with 6 movies (IMDb page), including:

1. "ForeverFever / That's The Way I Like It" (1998 / AD)

2. "The Teenage Textbook Movie" (1998 / PD)

3. "Street Angels / 少女党" (1999 / PD & AD)

4. "Song of the Stork" (2002 / P&D)

5. "Perth" (2004 / PD)

6. "Rice Rhapsody" (2004 / PD & AD)

View this post on Instagram

I spoke about my earlier work in Film and Television Designs & #ArtDirection being influenced by my own dreams of #comicbook illustration, loving #comicbooks and my passion for toys, culminating in a particular project from 2004, a #longform tv show titled "ROUGE". SWIPE thru for images of: (2) initial character concept sketch. (3-4) character styling using my own collection of 1/6th-figures (and clothes)! (5-6) my storyboards for the opening title sequence I had designed & styled, & directed by myself (No I am not skilled nor talented to edit, c'mon lol). (7) Screengrab of fin version (alas I do not have the full final sequence to show&share). (8) On-set images of the main cast, dressed in character (along with store-displays & promotional posters we created etc) and on-camera/on-air. (10) And I get to design and we made a B-movie styled spaceship for one episode! Can awesome a #geeklife I got to have?!! *These were slideshow & additional supplementary images for my March 9th talk at #SUSS for #SingaporeDesignWeek (Re: https://bit.ly/2IHmAgo). *My #andyhengart #Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/andyhengart #designlife #henglifesg #TBT #throwbackthursday

A post shared by TOYSREVIL (@toysrevil) on


I spoke about my earlier work in Film and Television Designs and Art Direction being influenced by my own dreams of drawing and loving comicbooks, and my passion for toys, culminating in a particular project from 2004, a #longform tv show titled "ROUGE" - of which select images are shown here of;

(Pic #2) initial character concept sketch. (3-4) character styling using my own collection of 1/6th-figures (and clothes)!

(Pics #5-6) my storyboards for the opening title sequence I had designed & styled, & directed by myself (No I am not skilled nor talented to edit, c'mon lol).

(Pic #7) Screengrabs of finished boradcasted version (alas I do not have the full final sequence to show-n-share).

(Pic #8) On-set images of the main cast, dressed in character (along with store-displays & promotional posters we created etc) and on-camera/on-air.

(Pic #10) And I get to design and we made a B-movie styled spaceship for one episode! How awesome a #geeklife I got to have?!!

*These were slideshow & additional supplementary images for my March 9th talk at #SUSS for #SingaporeDesignWeek.

View this post on Instagram

I shared with folks what led to the creation of #TOYSREVIL. I had been a #toycollector first, translating my #worklife of creating an image within the frame, with background dioramas, and utilising the sense of scale from my past #InteriorDesign, #Television design and #Film days, into a #toylife fulfilment of my own self-made project(s). Before the blog, I had my own website (2nd pic) just showcasing my kitbashed figures! SWIPE thru to view images in my slideshow images for my March 9th talk at #SUSS for #SingaporeDesignWeek (Re: https://bit.ly/2IHmAgo). My 1/6th hobby on #Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/toysrevil16 & hobby-blog: https://toysrevil16.blogspot.com/ ... & #onTOYSREVIL (#toypixaday): https://bit.ly/2UwJrNe #designlife #henglifesg #TBT #throwbackthursday

A post shared by TOYSREVIL (@toysrevil) on


I shared with folks what led to the creation of "TOYSREVIL" - both as an online nick and eventually the blog. I had been a "toy-collector" first, translating my career (then) of creating an image within the (camera) frame, with background dioramas, and utilising the sense of scale from my past experiences in Interior Design, Television Design and Film days, into a #toylife fulfilment of my own self-made project(s). Before the blog, I had my own website (2nd pic) just showcasing my kitbashed figures!

View this post on Instagram

I shared with folks how TOYSREVIL evolved from a #hobby, with posting in online #toyforums (I mentioned #MenWithDolls!), to public platforms (who here remembers "Multiply"?), to starting & the reasons for running my own blog for the past 14 years. TOYSREVIL has always been more than a hypebeast / billboard for #toynews, where I can reminisce about my toy-collecting adventures, my views on related select geek & pop culture subjects, and how it all connects to my personal life. I post art/sketches (because I love to draw), and post select movie & anime films (because I love them).... Essentially sharing my own loves with folks online, as primarily a one-author-show , and I am thankful folks still find something interesting enough to visit my blog. SWIPE thru to view images (including supplementals) for my March 9th talk at #SUSS for #SingaporeDesignWeek (Re: https://bit.ly/2IHmAgo). #bloglife #toylife #henglifesg #TBT #throwbackthursday The while the www-landscape has changed, and readership needs have since shifted, so too had my #reallife - especially after Stroke - as have my language and the way I write also altered, not to mention my life-view, world-view, and even how I look at toys, and what they mean to me now ... it might be “just a blog” to the average reader, but in many ways, it has become a mirror to my own life ... and even as far as to say I “brought up a 14 year old”...??! :) Thank You For Reading TOYSREVIL Cheers Andy

A post shared by TOYSREVIL (@toysrevil) on


I shared with folks how TOYSREVIL evolved from a hobby, with posting in online toy-forums, to public platforms (who here remembers "Multiply"?), to starting & the reasons for running my own blog for the past 14 years.

TOYSREVIL has always been more than a "hypebeast" / "billboard" for toynews - where I can reminisce about my toy-collecting adventures, my views on related select geek & pop culture subjects, and how it all connects to my personal life. I post art/sketches (because I love to draw), and post select movie & anime films (because I love & enjoy them) .... Essentially sharing my own loves with folks online, as primarily a one-author-show , and I am thankful folks still find something interesting enough to want to visit my blog.

From the slides shown, the four articles featured can be found here:

Do You Remember A Time When Toys Were Fun? (2007)
I Like Resin Toys (2011)
Living The 1/6-World: Adventures of Team-Building in the 1/6th-scale Hobby (2011)
LEGO & ME: Of Bittersweet Memories, Untold Stories & Bootleg Alternatives (2014)

The while the www-landscape has changed, and readership needs have since shifted, so too had my real-life - especially after Stroke - as have my language and the way I write also altered, not to mention my life-view, world-view, and even how I look at toys, and what they mean to me now ...

In the 14 years since the launch of this blog, I had authored it for 5 years before I suffered from Stroke, survived and pushed on for over 8 years since, and the words and language shows, at least to me when I read my older posts.

And while it might be “just a blog” to the average reader (*Understandably so, of course), but in many ways, it has become a mirror to my own life (Or should I have said "Reflection"? :p) ... and even as far as to say I “brought up a 14 year old”...??! :)

Thank You For Reading TOYSREVIL
Cheers
Andy Heng


Comments