A Surgeon & a Comicbook Artist neverwas ... A Set Designer Me

#TBT... that one time I scrubbed in and performed a miracle surgery that made my parents proud of their first born, NOT!

A post shared by Andy Heng (@asliceofheng) on


In Singlish parlance we say: #waitlonglong aaaah! :p

Nah, my parents never gave me pressure to aspire to vaulted occupations such as “lawyer” or “doctor”... although when I told them I’d wanted to be a “comic book artist”, it might have disappointed them a lil’...? I’ve never asked them about it years later tho (I think :p), but I knew they had supported my decisions when one day my late dad when to a local book fair and returned with a hardcover picture book on the life and times of "Ma Wing-shing"; the creator of “Fung Wan” aka #TheStormRaiders manhua (which I also read at the tie, alongside my Marvel, DC and 2000ads), and I was touched beyond grateful at their support ... *tear* ... although I never did turn out to be either a successful comic book artist or a surgeon, did I?

This one don't need to ask, even I feel ashamed of myself and my lack ... #FAIL :(

P/S: The top snap should have been taken circa the mid-90s-ish (by my sister, actually), when I went for a recce at a (I've since forgotten which) hospital, and entered an operating theatre to glean inspiration and take photographs for a studio set I had been tasked to design for a health talkshow named “Mind Your Body”, for TCS/Television Corporation of Singapore (pre-"Mediacorp" / see below), for a set I've since been proud of doing, but never really did take more images of, regrettably :p

Comments