My Art Pouch of Yesteryear


If "Batman" had his "Utility Belt", THIS would've been mine! The black fabric punch was purchased at the Army Market, along with a thick "police belt" that it slotted in and slung on, this pouch might have accompanied me for possibly 5 of my 6 feature films (I have been trying to find photographic evidence, save for a sole snap for my 6th and last feature in 2006, and possibly on my 3rd feature which I will not show, in lieu of embarrassing the folks standing around my nearly naked-upper torso... :p), in my previous worklife, along with the myriad of tv and video productions.


My ever companion and aid in the art department, for nearly a decade ... where it held my ever existing box-cutter (the thick/broad), black marker pens, sometimes mobile phone (but rarely), possibly walky-talky (but then that's what's the thick bit was for), and more likely digital camera, and other sundries dangling from it, like black gaffer tape, masking tape (learnt those from the grips lol), and probably more things that I should have had as a "Production Designer / Art Director" might ever needed to have on set (*BUT I enjoyed the process of being "handy" on set, thru the years :p). Someone asked where was it I'd kept my cigarettes and lighter, to which if my memories serves, were in my pockets, and "away" from "work", but truthfully, I can no longer remember LOL

Essentially this was where I carried what I have might felt were the basic tools needed to solve a problem on set, in the Art Department. I remembered bringing along a swiss-army knife for some time too, but realised it was not as effective for me, as would clear tape, blu-tack or even safety pins might afford me.


I recognise the "belt" in the above pic (circa 2004, on the set of "Rouge" TV series for MTV Asia), but can't really see the pouch itself tho ... :p

Can't believe I let myself go bare-bodied like that ... but then again, I have memories of wearing much lesser than THAT, and waking up on the couch in the production premises, right next to a cast I had been crushing on then... AWK-WAAAARD! LOL

Even now, as I chuck it in the bin (in a recent excavation+packing attempt at my hoard in the corner of the house), I still could not resist to scoop it back out for a snap-n-show, strangely finding it hard(er) to escape from my past.... doesn’t take much to figure it out tho, as I am surrounded by my “past” lol

The bag/pouch is properly chucked away now though, and all I have left are photo-memories, and a lingering question of WHERE else have this followed me ...?

Comments