#myeatlife / #ieatlife


I started a dedicated "food-blog" back in 2009 (First post being a review of PU TIEN RESTAURANT @ TAMPINES MALL - which got me a follow on my Twitter then from Pu Tien themselves!). The blog was then named "Can Eat Cannot Eat", which would've played into the Singlish-aspect of my food life, and online-life, actually - with a simple "Can Eat" or "Cannot Eat" rating system.


And while starting it with passion and plenty of content-planned, it inevitably fell into the wayside - as most f my blogs do - when compared to the dedication I gave to my daily TOYSREVIL-blog, even as I naively think (and still continue to do so OMG) and thought I could cope with, somehow negating the FOLDERS filled with unfinished articles that remain unpublished ...

I even started a dedicated Facebook Page: #ieatlife in 2009. And this was the "Menu Manifesto":
"WHAT: All Food. Any Food. As Long As Can Eat!

WHO: I am not a "foodie". I am not a "professional food-critic". I like to eat food, and I like to talk about eating them, and how they taste. Hear me burp."
View this post on Instagram

Testing... it’s been a while, IG... #henglifesg

A post shared by Andy Heng (@asliceofheng) on


Fast forward slightly to October 2010, to when I suffered Stroke - which no doubt left said blog in a bind - especially with me diagnosed with Diabetes and High Cholestral - along with the other "good stuff" that led to my Stroke... And of course my dieting had to change, which quite frankly impacted the blog and its contents... but not by too much actually, as I'd totally lapsed in my dietary-plans, since horrendously derailed, with featuring tons of non-healthy eats on my personal Instagram, in lieu of commentary or even review - which was the purpose of the blog in the first place.

"Funny how life goes sometimes … one minute you started a food-blog, and the next thing you know, you've had a Stroke, with diabetes and high cholesterol being two of the four main causers of your malady, and you end up being half-paralysed (temporarily) and sat in a wheelchair, wondering what the heck can you actually eat!

Over 5 years later, you can now walk, blog with an eye-patch on (double vision courtesy of diabetes no less), and have daily insulin jabs (twice a day), so really, there's not much you can eat swell, ya know?

But whining aside, I've just got to watch my diet, and in the meanwhile, I still do EAT, you know? Henceforth contained in this album are snaps of food from my Instagram - some made by myself, some homemade by mum, and sometimes even grub from outside restaurants - all of whom are "humble food", no glamorized fancy-shcmancy foodie snaps here, alas!

Yes, it is all about ME, and I am sharing with YOU, #myeatlife :)"
(UPDATED: Dec 20, 2015)
View this post on Instagram

#mummade Wednesday eats! #myeatlife #singaporelife

A post shared by Andy Heng (@asliceofheng) on


It was not until December 2015, when I returned to the blog after a five year "break", did a recap of what happened with my Stroke, and continued with posting food I should have kept away from, truth be told ... and very sparsely updating the blog thru the years, until August 2019, when I first experienced "GOUT" - which further crippled whatever diet I was on, choosing since to avoid red meat (Save for chicken or fish), and tons of goodies I've taken for granted, but no longer as my purine acid count has been medically tested and is an issue that I do not avoid.

I've had many a friends expound the virtues of the Pain of Gout being something they've lived with for years, and as well I've painkillers prescribed and ready to quell my fears ... BUT, is the taste worth the pain?



View this post on Instagram

LOW PURINE FOODS (Choose more often). Due to my recent GOUT attacks, I had received this list of Can and Cannot Eats for a PURINE RESTRICTED DIET from my local polyclinic. Note that these are generic, and does not necessarily cater or take into consideration my diabetic and high cal issues (since my Stroke in 2010). Thru diagnostic tests, it has been discovered that I have a high purine acid count, hence leading to gout attacks. It has happened more frequent than I care for, so a lost like this helps me on the straight and narrow. There are of course "triggers", and I am slowly finding out what they are, but more likely will not attempt to test too often LOL And please understand that if I don’t break bread with you, it more likely will be due to these conditions. Thank you for understanding. #henglifesg

A post shared by Andy Heng (@asliceofheng) on


With March 2020 ending this weekend, and the onset of COVID-19 sweeping across the globe, "eating at home" had become a reality needed to be lived, which in turn has kept mum stressed out about cooking up "new" things very so often, which I insist is not a necessity, but.....

All of which brings me to myeatlife.blogspot.com, and the conundrum of keeping it "alive" - realising both that "content" will continue to be an issue, and even if I had since recognised that blog to have become a semblance of a "online journal" of my life - when THIS would be the blog I could focus on instead, together with posting food-pictures, innit?

There is no specific answer, and neither was I looking for one when I started this, choosing instead to leave that blog be, as would the Facebook page ("cyber-squatting" all lah!) ... and possibly post HERE instead, my food snaps - NOT because (never because) I find my food and life interesting enough to share, but it is quite possibly the only record/chronicle of my life, which continues to be consumed by everything else around me. I have chosen to be a Archiver of my own #henglifesg, because who else could I let be?

Looking at the blog-banner I made (& reposted up top), I recognise the pinkness of my fave luncheon-meat, served on instant noodles, is something that has become a thing of the past, as are most of the food seen in the food-blog ... and maybe its time to move on? Time for Sunday lunch soon too ...

Comments