WEEKEND AT CGH: Friday Night Observations

CHECKING IN

I was booked into Ward 39, on the 9th floor, where I am told (twice) that it was not a “ICU”, but a level that had been set aside specifically for observation cases, where we/the patients would undergo Nasal and (inner) Throat cotton swab tests, to determine if indeed we were to test positive for Coronavirus. If we were tested to be positive, that’s where we would be warded next.

I was in a ward with 5 beds, with a single common wash basin, a sit-down toilet and a shower (both with lockable doors). The ward set-up is as per usual, with no “main door”, and no specific containment interior “add-ons” you(I) might imagine to look like “make-shift incubation” tents - seen in Hollywood film or tv productions. Pretty much a “regular looking ward” as far as my memory serves (Last time I was warded was in October 2010, when I survived Stroke). The feeling of “Déjà vu" was strong within me...

The beds looked “normal”, but instinctively I felt the air smelt fresh(er), and the air-conditioning as a welcomed respite to the recent humidity, I admit.

One main obvious “difference”, was that the nursing staff were fully covered in blue gowns, gloved and were fully masked. I knew I was not here for a “weekend retreat”.

FINALLY, DINNER

A nurse came in to take my order / choice for dinner, to which Chinese “Herbal Chicken” was on the menu, but I hesitated because near everyone this side of home and TCM “knows” NOT to take “chicken”, as it conjures up phlegm, but I caved in, because, well, it was a hospital after all, and I’m gonna be getting my cough syrup, no? Or as I always quote my dear mum, whenever we chide her for eating stuff she shouldn’t; “Got Medicine”. How irresponsible of me … the herbal chicken tasted absolutely delicious with my mixed grain rice, thank you.

Know that even with a restrictive menu (the "menu" was printed out and held in a box at the entrance of the ward, actually), records for my Purine Issue was also detected and recommended against my food choice as well, so I am thankful for such "digital-connectivity".

MEDICATE ME

By then, my (daily) medicine I have not had the entire day thus far, was ready for dinner time. I have had records online (no doubt) shared between my currently polyclinic and CGH, so that probably took the entire day to be sorted out. One “tricky” aspect to it all, was my Insulin Injection (for my diabetes), for which they had to spend some time to requisition for and acquire (*The nurse very patiently shared this info with me, bless her .. BLESS THEM ALL lah), but was ultimately sorted before my meal (I have a daily pre-meal injection for both Breakfast and Dinner).

Whatever initial panic / worry I might have had earlier the day - constantly worried that I did not have my meds - festered still in my mind. I remembered telling them that the first thing when I was wheeled into the Observation Ward earlier in the afternoon (the second thing was “I have not eaten” :p)

In my 10 years of taking daily meds, regardless if I had an appointment at any given day or time, I would have prepared my necessary daily medicine/pills, and brought them along with me (in my day travel pillbox), wherever and whenever I go, “just in case” … and of course THAT FRIDAY, I did not.

That particular Friday, I had rushed out of the house - without taking my breakfast and morning medications - thinking I would be back home to take them...

Also not so ironic that particular Friday too, was that I actually had my medication list (in the form of a listed “invoice”), that I had intended to discuss with my Family Physician with, about the status of my medication. I had gone to the polyclinic for my appointment to check my bloodwork (does a week before) and consult my Family Physician.

"THE LIST" THAT TIME FORGOT

In my early days of Post-Stroke recovery at home, I carried around a list of my medications with me, just in case anything unforseen happened (*TOUCH WOOD*), and folks might have needed the information immediately. The fear of relapse has been and still is, a constant fear, in my making life.

But through the years, there had been some minor alterations to my daily meds, and I’d lapsed in constantly carrying along “the list”, as the “confidence” I had felt in “integrating into society”, left a lapse in my fear and habit.

What a wake up call Friday had turned out to be so far, innit? LOL

SWEET SWEET FEVER DREAMS

Finally having the opportunity to feast on hospital food (I’ve not felt as “eating healthily” as I had that dinner), I decided to sleep earlier than I usually do. It was not even 8pm when I drifted off, no less.

The nurses came constantly bedside to monitor my blood pressure, oxygen level and take my temperature, as well as that one time (first time) swabbing the inside of one of my nostrils, and the inside of my throat - to use to test for coronavirus.

It did not dawn on me until typing this now, that it took a hella long time to have this done to me, since coming into A&E in the late morning … but to be fair, perhaps my symptoms were not as dire?

I was told I would know the result by the next morning, or late afternoon, to determine if I was going to be discharged the next day, or “more likely” I would need to stay thru Sunday.

All I could do at that moment, was to trust in the medical staff and their tasks, and instead fret over my mobile phone, and its dwindling battery-life. Making that call to mum at home was tougher than I had imagined, not needing to freak her out, I shared with her everything the doctor had mentioned, and will keep everyone updated.

RING RING

Sidestory: A week+ prior to the events of this Friday, I had suspected my regular mobile phone screwed up, with the battery-life draining as quick as it had been charged, ridiculously so, but had not the chance to go to my neighbourhood shop to switch out the battery (which I had done not so long ago too), because of my incessant coughing.

I had by then switched my SIM card to an older iPhone4, which did not have an updated WhatsApp, so I could not update family via that function, but could “SMS” instead - to find out much later mum didn’t check immediately, as we’ve all stopped using the SMS-function for too long now! LOL

So dependant on our current technology, we end up being trapped in our own limitations, or so I felt. Yes, I have become THAT Old(er) uncle who complain complain complain about technology ….

Quite funnily, I remembered ALL of the nurses addressed me “Uncle” so far, and I can no longer delude myself my faded youth LOL - but I digress…

No outside visitors were allowed to this ward - which was mentioned from the get-go before entering this ward - which I managed to SMS home (which mum never read), that late afternoon when I was in the Observation Ward in the A&E, for that five hours of waiting to be told what would happen next.

UN-CHARGED

And OF COURSE that would be the day I did not bring along my power bank and charging cable - which I ALWAYS had done, whenever I leave the house, in my man-pouch, for emergencies such as this! I had taken for granted that “it would just be a short visit to the polyclinic” … and the next thing I know, Im in the ward with a iPhone4 needing a charger that no one else had (*Two of my ward-mates offered theirs but my phone was too out-dated!!!!!).

But then again, maybe I could’ve been able to ask permission to use the hospital’s phone? Of course the “coughing” aspect of the coronavirus might end up infecting the phone?

I did make a direct phone-call home, with whatever battery-life remaining, to keep mum and sis updated. And in order to be able to do that, I had to have a reasonable mount of information to share, as I could not afford to constantly do "updates" with a dwindling battery-life. Like I said, "trapped by technology" ~ *facepalm*

SELF-DIAGNOSING

Thus far, based on the symptoms I’ve been reading (and am bombarded with) online, my ongoing cough was a concern, as was my breathlessness - so they would ask be check for pneumonia and bronchitis. One aspect that had been missing of my symptoms, was “fever”, so I was not as freaked out as I could have been … “Everything will check out fine, right?”

By the night time, the nurse had detected I had developed a slightly elevated temperature (“Slight fever” she told me), and I instantaneously felt that the air-conditioning was not cold enough. Shit just got real.

When I check in, there were a total of three folks in my Ward of 5 beds, including me. A fourth person was admitted in the middle of the night, at what specific time I cannot say, but I was half awake and asleep when it happened. He had been constantly coughing, and quite frankly, that freaked me out bit more than I expected it to.

One of my ward-mates covered his bed with the curtain around him that night, and I regretted not doing the same that night. Thus ends my February 28th, and crossing my fingers the tests come back "NEGATIVE" Saturday morning...

Comments