Turned 51 (Celebrating My 51st - Part 2)

The day before my Birthday, was a sheer disaster. And the day before that, was a day of good news and relief. But THIS what what happened on Sunday, September 27th, 2020…

I welcomed my 51st past midnight with completing my watch of Kdrama "Train". Shed some tears at the drama, and shook my head at some cliches. "Being Entertained" is never a "bad" thing.



I started a brand new day with my first coffee at age "51". Thanks to my doctor's recommendation, I am down to a single cup a day... or I try to have...



Annual Teochew tradition with warm sweetened soup, “dragon’s eye”, and a hard-boiled egg - the bday person gets two eggs - no matter how civilisation and lives move forward, some (family) traditions could help ground and anchor us to our pasts and beginnings, IMHO. We all live different lives, and I neither judge nor query yours, but this is a slice of mine I certainly hope to retain :)



I had a sudden craving to discover the taste of JOLLIBEE, and wanted to dedicate my birthday, and perhaps upcoming days with discovering "new" tastes, experiences, and whatever comes my way...



The sense of sating my craving, by far out paces my impression of the food tasted. I do not have a comparison to the "original" taste, but certainly hope to actually taste for myself in a restaurant in The Philippines itself.



Watched DR STRANGE while enjoying my cakecake (which I wished I made a cuppa for, but that would've been way too filling)... finished the entire film, and they screened AVENGERS:ENDGAME right after that too...!



Did an unboxing of what my sister bought for me, and for the first time in all my days of blogging, I actually shared the video with my family ... I've not shared much of what I do with them, and maybe I should share what I enjoy doing, what I am proud of doing too.



Then I did another unboxing - something I had previously wanted to do specifically on my birthday, but had wanted to take a break and NOT work on the day itself... but also realised I cannot distract myself from doing the things I set out to and/or set my sights on doing, in the first place...



Watched an anime (NO GUNS LIFE), and attempted to blog a bit - which was a bad choice because it killed my enthusiasm and joy for a bit ... then posted pictures, replied to nearly every birthday wish on Facebook and WhatsApp, and that was my Sunday!

View this post on Instagram

51. #henglifesg #henglifesg51 #selfie #selfportrait

A post shared by Andy Heng (@asliceofheng) on



This year's birthday hit a little bit different than before. More relaxed and calm, at the same time anxiousAF (because of computer issues), but chose to focus on other things that I could do, instead of trying to solve something that I could not... of course they'll still need to be solved, but the world does not stop for me when that happens. I've always felt I had been a self-centered person as a working adult, but no doubt Stroke broke me out of my comfort zone, and opened up possibilities of who I am, was and what I want to be moving forward, and turning "51" might have just been numbers ticking down the clock, but the past few months had been exceeding "real" for me, COVID not withstanding. And most things have actually been working out, and that is a HUGE weight off my heart and multi[le breaths could now be exhaled lol

About Turning 51.


FAMILY matters So FKn Much.

Friends and Folks who takeandtook the time and trouble to wish me a happy day, by far outweighs those who choose not to. I am not your "algorithm", and neither should you be mine too, in all fairness.

Learn to focus on the people who care.

Grateful for the health, and be mindful of the downsides. Rather than spewing "Life is fair", I'd instead say that there is a "duality to everything", whether you like it or not.

I've walked away from things in life, and have lived with regrets ... and life has walked out on me a few times too, so I'll not turn my head, if you don't yours.

Fix the problems the best you can. It's okay of it does not work. You will find another/a way.

You are not another person's "pace". It's okay if you cannot catch up immediately, and it's okay of you choose not to run their race for them.

It is easy to "give up", but "giving up" is never easy.

The only question I have at 12:34am on September 28th is: Continue watching a movie? Or close the day and wake up feeing oldAF ... but thst new cuppa coffee tho ...!

Comments