At The Time Of This Picture...


The moment of the image posted above, was an exceedingly important period of my life, which I was able to share my life and what I did with my late Father.

Thinking back, I'd also realised I've not had the chance to share my work with my parents or even my siblings (except for my sister, as we were in the same industry for a period of time). I've only ever had a chance to bring my parents to preview screenings of the movies I was involved in, telling them "your son art directed this film!", or even point to the television screen: "I designed this set!" ... but they have never actually seen me doing what was it I do/did.

It's one thing to have a visual end product to refer-to/reference (films and tv), but how could I describe "WHAT IS BLOGGING"?

Folks these days recognise the word, sure. And of course the notion of "blogging" as a career is defined by how much bloggers earn, as media constantly tells folks - my parents included. If by that train of reference, then the past 15 years of my life has been dedicated to my "ernest hobby", not a "career"? Cannot deny that thinking, to be honest, innit? Especially in older folks' understanding, not least friends+peers who do not read my blog(s) LOL

But being able to share with my late Father a slice of what I do, was invaluable to me, and my psyche.


At that time (of the picture), my dad had picked up sculpting, as part of a weekend class, which he continued to engage in ernestly, until his sickness got the better of his physicality, with the chemo much more debilitating than he had let on, I suspect. He was not able to work on his "next planned sculpt", which was to be a portrait of my mum. He was building up his skills at that point, and had even gone procuring materials too!

Dad was a "traditional" artist in his youth (and while courting mum), painting on canvas and even taught art for a period of time (and even opened his own advertising company in the 70s), with his scope of works involved portraiture, and still-life aesthetics.

For a period of time from his official retirement from business, he even hand-drew packaging art, which was eventually replaced by digital media. So dad has skills, and his visual deciphering rubbed off on me in more ways than I can explain ... just not so much the "skills" aspect lol


At the time (of the picture), I was sharing with him the aesthetics of the "designer toy / art toy" world - which were a more abstract presentation of form and ideas - with the aim to open his senses beyond the traditional form, and as well had the opportunity to share with him my passion (for toys), and what it was I blogged about on a daily basis. This exhibition was a (continued) physical way to witness the art, and as well introduce him to the folks and friends in this arena of influence, and have been a huge part of my (online) life.

At the time (of the picture), while discussing "art toys", we had been planning to collaborate on what would have been my first sculpted collectible, and I had wanted my dad to be involved in my toylife, by literally sculpting it. The culmination of my dreams for years in both collecting and blogging, would have been a something I'd done together with my Dad!

That dream remains unfulfilled, and I had set it aside since Dad passed on. In some ways, it was no longer just "my" dream, it would have been "ours", and it just does not seem right (to me) to move ahead without him ... I don't miss the "opportunity", I just miss my Dad.


At the time (of the picture), I was not in an abundance of riches to be able to host visiting friends, but I will always be grateful for the graciousness of folks for my Dad and myself, so THANK YOU Aaron Martin, Jesse Yu (and Ritzy too!) - from the bottom of my heart, even if I do not constantly have the words readily on the edge of my lips.


Images featured above were from the "FANG TO FUR" exhibition from 2012, where Aaron and Jesse returned to Singapore for a show at FLABSLAB. The top-posted image popped unto my Facebook-feeds (thanks FB), which prompted this blogpost you are reading right now.

Dad first meant them at the "One Night with Amy of Snipers in Singapore" art show in 2011, together with Ritzy Periwinkle, Boosher and Daniel Zana, which Jeffrey Koh graciousnessly hosted the art show at the very last moment.

Comments